I’ve sewn quite a few bodysuits and one-piece swimsuits, but G+G’s Road Trip is still my go-to, especially when it comes to hacking/modifying it.
It has an awesome fit and it’s easy to grade and lengthen it making it a faster sew for me.
- Side note: I feel I should make a bodysuit/leotard patterns side by side comparison like I did with the leggings… Is that something you’d be interested in seeing?
I love different ones for different reasons, could be interesting to see them side by side.
But as I was saying… the Road Trip.
It’s been updated to the new size chart (tween 12 to 5X) and it’s just as great as it ever was.
It features a regular front or lace up option, 4 sleeves to choose from, a shaped back and a snap crotch option.
To celebrate the update and the fact that it’s the pattern of the month at G+G’s website I wanted to do a hack but life got in the way (as it usually does) and here I am, posting it 2 days to the end of the month… Better late than never? 😀
I gotta say… I’m obsessed with this one y’all.
This is my favorite kind of hack: simple yet impactful.
I know I’ve said it before, but I love a good dramatic sleeve!
So, what did I do?
- Raised both the front and back necklines. I used the Posh Top as a guide, but you could eyeball it or just use any other pattern;
- The turtleneck piece is 5″ (folded, so 2.5″ when ready) x 85% of the neck opening;
- For the sleeves, I cut 2 circle pieces each and attached them like a set-in sleeve.
More notes on the sleeves:
- I calculated and cut it as I would a circle skirt: measured the armscye circunference and divided that number by 6.28, that gave me the sleeve opening;
- For the length: The shorter one is 3″ and the longer one 6″.
As I’m not a big fan of snap crotch closures (bad back doesn’t enjoy the bending and twisting haha), I planned on using a zipper on the back, the pattern already features a center back seam so it would be a simple solution.
Everything went according to plan… the zipper application was beautiful!
BUT then… I went to try it on and my bum wouldn’t go through the opening *facepalm*.
So, note to self: 20″ zipper is NOT long enough!!
And for reference… the bodysuit is a size 10 bust and waist and 20 hip.
So it now has a snap crotch closure. 😉
What would I do differently next time?
I’m pretty happy with it as it is, but if I’d be to nitpick it or just would like it even more dramatic, I’d make the sleeves a bit longer (maybe 2″ extra on each layer) and add horsehair braid to them. I forgot to mention earlier, but the reason I didn’t hem the sleeves is that I was afraid that the hem would add too much weight and make them droopy, and I wanted them to be as perky as possible. 😉
As for styling it…
It looks super cute with the Seether skirt, but I think I’ll probably be pairing it more often with a pair of jeans.
If got a little inspired to have a little hacking fun with Road Trip but don’t have the pattern yet, there’s still a little time left to grab it on sale with 25% off. 😉